Hero dad ‘jumped out of fourth floor flat to save others during horror blaze’

Hero dad ‘jumped out of fourth floor flat to save others during horror blaze’

A hero dad jumped out of the window of his fourth-floor flat in order to “catch others” after a devastating blaze broke out, pals said.

The man, named Colin, is credited with saving lives during the emergency in Loanhead, Midlothian, which saw six people taken to hospital.

It happened at around 3.30pm yesterday, Edinburgh Live reports.

A Just Giving page has been set up on behalf of the family of the dad, who is said to have ‘lost everything.’

His sister wrote that her ‘hero’ brother had ‘jumped out the window to catch people as they leapt out the window of their top floor flat.’

The appeal reads: “We’re raising £5,000 to my best mate and his amazing family including Michelle and their five kids.

“My friend Colin and his partner Michelle and their kids have fallen victim to a house fire and have lost everything they own including their home.

“Every little penny we can raise to help them out would go a very long way.

“Colin is a coach at Loanhead Youth Football Club and is a hero to most of the kids.

“He jumped out the window of a four high flat to save the lives of others.”

Colin’s sister wrote on Facebook : “I honestly can’t believe I am writing this early this morning.

“I woke with phone calls to say my brother and Michelle’s flat has caught fire!

“I can’t believe this has happened to them they have lost absolutely everything.

“My brother has been an absolute hero jumping out the window and catching every single one of them as they jumped out from their top floor flat just in time!

“So thankful to still have them all here with us.”

A spokesperson for Scottish Fire and Rescue said: “The crews assisted a number of residents as they worked to extinguish the fire on the top floor of a three story block of flats.

“Two residents were rescued from the property by fire fighters and six casualties were handed into the care of Scottish ambulance service before being taken to hospital.